This page may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Easy Homemade Fajita Seasoning
This homemade taco & fajita seasoning can be made in less than 5-minutes, at home. Better yet, you’ll be in control of the ingredients and save money all at the same time!
Is homemade seasoning really better?
Before going Paleo, I used to buy pre-mixed seasoning packets anytime I was planning to make tacos or fajitas. It was what my mother always did, so I picked up that habit from her and didn’t think twice about it. I figured making homemade seasoning mixes was difficult and time-consuming, and that’s why everybody use store-bought seasoning packets.
I quickly realized I was dead wrong.
After going Paleo and needing to do so on a budget, I realized two things:
- Pre-made seasoning packets have awful ingredients, and almost none of them are Paleo-friendly. They’re inflammatory, they have nasty fillers, and the ingredients are low-quality. I learned I could be in full control of the ingredients in my seasonings if I simply mixed them myself.
- Pre-made seasoning packets are tremendously expensive. I discovered that I could make ten times the amount of homemade fajita seasoning for the same price as a packet of name-brand fajita seasoning from the grocery store and be in control of the ingredients! Mind. Blown.
What’s the difference between taco seasoning and fajita seasoning?
Taco seasoning is typically more spicy and savory, as it includes red pepper flakes and oregano, as well as a larger ratio of chili powder. Fajita seasoning is more mellow in flavor and has a slightly sweet undertone.
How much fajita seasoning should I make?
When making this fajita seasoning recipe, you can go about it one of two ways:
- You can make it on an as-needed basis (anytime you are making a Mexican dish)
- You can do what I do and make a huge batch and store it in a mason jar so you only have to make it a few times per year.
Either way, you’ll save a ton of $$$ when you make your seasonings at home.
I hope you enjoy this time-saving creation! Please give your review below and make sure to share a photo of your creation and tag @wholesome_revival on Instagram to spread the word. I’d love to see how your meals turned out!Print
This homemade fajita seasoning tastes great, has clean ingredients, and will save you money to mix at home.
- 4 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. fine ground sea salt (or another fine salt you prefer)
- 3 tsp. coconut sugar (omit for Keto)
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. dehydrated onion or onion powder
Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl and store in a mini mason jar or other airtight container.
Feel free to leave out the salt or the sugar if it better fits your dietary preferences.
Use on tacos, burritos, fajitas, quesadillas, nachos, taco salad, and even omelettes!
- Category: Seasonings
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: fajita, taco, burrito, quesadilla, seasoning, southwestern, mexican, paleo, keto