This page may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
This easy Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala dish is perfect for busy weeknight dinners. Its smooth, creamy texture paired with authentic Indian spices makes for a perfectly crave-worthy meal in very little time.
The Easiest Tikka Masala Recipe
I attempted several Chicken Tikka Masala recipes before realizing that there wasn’t a great-tasting recipe out there that worked well for moms like me, who often have very little (uninterrupted) time in the kitchen due to having young children in the home.
The recipes I had found were either too labor-intensive or didn’t taste great.
I wanted a dish that had great flavor without a lot of elaborate steps, so I perfected this one, and I think it’s darn good.
My husband always gets excited when he sees it on my meal-plan for the week, so if that doesn’t tell you enough about how great it is, I don’t know what will.
Equipment You Will Need
- Instant Pot or any ol’ electric pressure cooker (I have the 6-Quart Instant Pot Ultra, and it’s AWE-SOME)
- A quality chef’s knife
- A solid cutting board
One Important Tip
Avoid those pesky “burn” errors!
As I was crafting this recipe, I encountered several Instant Pot “burn” errors. Like many of you know, the Instant Pot will completely halt the pressure cooking process and make you start over when it senses hot spots on the bottom of the Inner Pot. It’s there as a fail-safe to prevent your food from sticking the bottom, but it’s a blessing and a curse, really.
After three or four times of having to restart the pressure cook process in a row, I was ready to throw the freakin’ Instant Pot straight into the dumpster. Then I realized… this was purely user-error on my part. My mistake was putting the almond butter in to cook with the rest of the ingredients. Don’t do this!
I know how badly we busy moms want to skip as many steps in the cooking process as possible, but PLEASE! I BEG OF YOU! Don’t skip this one. Resist the urge to mix in the almond butter with the rest of the ingredients before cooking. It will save you a lot of time (and pot scrubbing) later.
I hope you enjoy this time-saving creation! Please give your review below and make sure to share a photo of your creation and tag @wholesome_revival on Instagram to spread the word. I’d love to see how your meals turned out!Print
This quick-and-easy Paleo Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe tastes as if you spent hours preparing it. Perfect for mamas with little time to spend in the kitchen!
- 1/2 cup creamy almond butter
- 1 15-ounce can tomato puree
- 1 cup coconut cream (or 1 cup heavy cream, for non-Paleo eaters)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (or 1 tsp. garlic powder)
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. garam masala
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger, grated (or 1 tsp. ground ginger)
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, chopped into 1-to-2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- Steamed basmati rice or cauliflower rice
- Cut chicken thighs into 1-2 inch pieces
- Place the chicken and sauce ingredients (except for the almond butter) into the Instant Pot and gently stir to combine.
- Close the lid and set to sealing.
- Cook on manual high pressure for 6 minutes. Quick release pressure when finished.
- Stir in the almond butter.
- Optional: Serve over a bed of cauliflower rice or white rice, and garnish with cilantro.
Instant Pot: Pressure cooker will take 10-15 minutes to build pressure before the 6 minute cook time.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: chicken, tikka masala, instant pot, pressure cooker, paleo